Wow your guests with this delicious, refreshing and colorful appetizer perfect for summer.
While this recipe may sound like a lot of work, the pickling process for this dish is quite simple. The shrimp are cooked until just done, then immersed in a quick vinegar mixture that is loaded with garlic, herbs, mustard, red onion and lemons. Allow the shrimp to sit in the marinade at room temperature (the longer the better!), then arrange on a platter, juices and all. Serve with a creamy lemon chive aioli dipping sauce to further enhance the appetizer’s light, fresh flavors. I like to dip my shrimp along with a red onion or fresno chili from the pickling mixture, it adds a nice crunch.
This appetizer is perfect for large groups and can be served at room temperature, so if you make this ahead of time just set in the fridge until you are ready to serve. As much as I wish I could, I can’t take credit for this recipe. This creative and delicious dish comes from my mom’s close friend Gaile Fortier. A big thank you for sharing! I will be pickling away this summer!
- Pickled Shrimp:
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 large Fresno chile, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds medium shrimp, tail on, shells removed, deveined
- Lemon Chive Aioli:
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, seafood seasoning, dill, parsley, mustard, chile, garlic, lemon slices and onion in a large bowl, toss together and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add the kosher salt. Add the shrimp and cook just until they begin to turn pink and float to the top, about 2 minutes. Drain and immediately add them to the pickling liquid.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature and then serve. Or refrigerate until you are ready to serve them.
- Serve with Lemon Chive Aioli for dipping.
- For the Aioli, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, lemon zest and garlic in a small mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined. Serve alongside the pickled shrimp.