Spring is FINALLY here! And what better way to welcome in the new season than with juicy strawberries and light-as-air whipped cream spooned over crumbly buttermilk biscuits.
This Strawberry Shortcake with Buttermilk Biscuits have become my go-to dinner party dessert and favorite springtime treat. They not only highlight fresh fruit, but require very little oven time and look charmingly homemade.
These crispy biscuits get their light, tender texture from buttermilk and baking powder, and their rich flavor from, you guessed it, lots o’ butter. Not only are these savory biscuits a wonderful contrast to the sugared berries, but they are perfect for absorbing all those wonderful strawberry juices. If you are serving at a dinner party, you can easily make ahead by baking the biscuits early in the day and letting them sit covered on the kitchen counter. Serve them as is, or warm them briefly in the oven for that fresh-baked charm.
The strawberries for any strawberry shortcake are actually best if left for an hour or more to macerate with the sugar and jam. I used a strawberry-apricot jam to bring in a few more fruity flavors and to help create more of a sauce. If you are making ahead, the strawberries can be refrigerated overnight and used to make shortcakes the next day.
When it comes to time to serve, cut the biscuits in half and top generously with the strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Cover the fruit and cream with the biscuit top then sprinkle on a little powered sugar. Serve the strawberry shortcakes on individual plates or let guests make their own. Either way, it’s a win – win.
- Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients:
- 2 1-pound baskets strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry-apricot preserves
- 1 can Whipped Cream
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Powdered sugar
- Buttermilk Biscuits Ingredients:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Strawberry Shortcake:
- Combine strawberries, ½ cup sugar and preserves in large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand until syrup forms, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Cut Buttermilk Biscuits in half. Place each biscuit bottom in shallow bowl. Top each generously with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover fruit and cream with biscuit tops. Dust biscuits with powdered sugar and serve.
- Buttermilk Biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl to blend. Using fingertips, rub ¾ cup chilled butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir until evenly moistened. Using ¼ cup dough for each biscuit, drop biscuits onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm.