Today I woke up to an 11 degree and dreary morning, oh and a cold. When the both weather and my immune system are down, I turn to my own personal remedy: a steaming bowl of some serious comfort food. So if you’re feeling like me, go grab your slow cooker because this easy, soul-warming Braised Short Rib Bucatini is everything you need.
The only real work required in this recipe is browning the short ribs and sautéing the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Otherwise, you just need a can opener and your hand to pour ingredients into the crockpot. Easy right?
Once the short ribs are browned and the vegetables are cooked down, add them to the slow cooker along with tomato sauce and paste, beef stock, red wine, oregano and red pepper flakes.
Then place the lid on this magical machine and in 8 hours you will have just created the most flavorful and addicting pasta sauce ever.
Once the ribs are braised, remove from the slow cooker and pull them off the bone (if they aren’t already) with a fork and add them back into the sauce. Then add a tiny bit of brown sugar and parmesan cheese. Stir sauce together and serve over bucatini with extra cheese. Pairs well with wine, a blanket and in my case a cold. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 pound bucatini pasta, cooked
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Season the short ribs with the salt and pepper then add to the pan and sear until golden on all sides, a few minutes per side. Remove the short ribs and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onions and minced garlic to the same pan and sauté until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add to the slow cooker along with the tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef stock and red wine. Stir in the oregano and red pepper flakes, then cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours the short rib should be falling off the bone tender. Remove the ribs with a pair of kitchen tongs (keep the sauce covered) and let them slightly cool until you can touch them. Remove the beef from the ribs and add it back to the slow cooker. Add in the brown sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (if you need more) and cheese. Stir well and keep in the warm crock pot until ready to serve.
- Serve over bucatini and top with extra cheese.