I love tacos. Like a lot. I’ve had enough to know what a good taco is all about. It comes down to the flavor, texture and freshness. This vegetarian version with cauliflower and chickpeas (sorry Dad, no bacon here) perfectly hits on all three categories. If you’re looking to lighten up a meal with something that won’t disappoint in the taste department, then these tasty tacos are for you.
The cauliflower and chickpeas create an unexpectedly hearty filling and have a deliciously smokey flavor, while the cabbage, avocado and cilantro add texture and layers of bright flavor. My personal favorite part is the lime crema. Who knew something so good can come from just four ingredients. It’s creamy, fresh and the perfect topping.
To create the filling, toss the chickpeas and cauliflower in a spice mixture of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. I also added fresh lime juice and a little olive oil. Roast in the oven until the chickpeas have a nice crunch and the cauliflower florets tender. You can keep going with the recipe, or if you’re like me you can snack on the chickpeas and cauliflower straight from the pan. Careful, they are very addicting.
To assemble, heat a flour (or you can use corn) tortilla on the stove until crispy. Fold in half and stuff with the cauliflower and chickpea mixture, cabbage and avocado. Finish off with the lime crema, sliced jalapeño and cilantro. Enjoy!
- For the Tacos:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head cauliflower, washed and cut into bite-size florets
- Flour tortillas (can substitute for corn)
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and diced
- Chopped cilantro
- For the Lime Crema:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅛ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Stir in chickpeas and cauliflower florets. Place seasoned chickpeas and cauliflower on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and cauliflower is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the lime crema, place the Greek yogurt or sour cream in a small bowl. Add fresh lime juice and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Roast a flour tortilla stovetop until crispy and place roasted cauliflower and chickpeas on top. Top with red cabbage, jalapeño slices, avocado, and cilantro. Drizzle lime crema over the tacos and serve!