In these past few weeks that I’ve been neglecting my blog A LOT has happened! New York spring has already come and gone, BBQ weather is now officially here, oh and…I’m ENGAGED! I know, it took me by surprise too! It was the most perfect proposal, culminating with the biggest shock: my family and Ben’s family surprising us on a gorgeous rooftop at sunset. It was literally picture perfect.
But enough about me and now back to what you’re all really here for…the food and this one you won’t want to miss!
Be the hit of every summer cook out with this sweet, tangy and smoky homemade BBQ sauce. But really, why buy a store bought version when you can spend 10 minutes making it at home! I can also guarantee you already have the majority of these ingredients in your pantry.
This versatile sauce can be slathered on a pulled pork sandwich, rubbed on ribs or it even works as an easy chicken marinade. The secret to sweetening this sauce is using an ingredient that is totally natural, sweet but not too sweet, and full of extra amazing flavor, which you guessed it, is molasses! Molasses provides that amazing thickness and holds the sauce together. The addition of worcestershire, mustard and paprika brings in the smoky flavors you know and love and the cayenne adds some serious heat. This BBQ sauce is finger licking good! Enjoy!
- 1¼ cups ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2½ teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium size sauce pot. Bring to a boil and reduce and simmer for five minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved. Simmer until desired thickness is reached. Watch closely as it thickens quick! Serve immediately or cover and store in fridge.