Well, this just happened…my two favorite things in life have collided on top of a pizza crust. I’m honestly surprised I haven’t though of this recipe already. I believe every great meal should include corn and bacon (and eggs, my other love) in some capacity.
This recipe is an adaptation from my new cookbook, I Love NY by Daniel Humm and Will Guidara, the team behind Eleven Madison Park and NoMad. Their cookbook, which is so thick it easily doubles as a coffee table book, provides unique recipes using locally grown ingredients from surrounding New York farms, not to mention beautiful photography.
I’ll start out by saying this is not your typical pizza, instead of your basic tomato sauce base, this pizza has a mascarpone and corn sauce filling. The topping is a mix of corn kernels and chopped bacon with grated white aged-cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. I love the addition of the red chile flakes which add a spicy kick.
For the crust I bought pre-made dough from Whole Foods, but if you are feeling adventurous you can always go the made from scratch route. My mascarpone and corn sauce base is a slight adaptation from the original recipe. This pizza is a unique blend of sweet, salty and spice. Don’t be scared off by this one, it is truly delicious!
- 1 pre-packaged pizza dough - let the dough sit out 1 hour prior to rolling out
- 1 cup corn sauce (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- ¼ cup fresh corn kernals
- ¼ cup diced uncooked bacon
- ½ cup grated white aged cheddar cheese
- red chile flakes
- olive oil
- Corn Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup corn juice (from 1 can of corn kernels)
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons flour
- sprinkle of salt
- To make the corn puree, heat up 1 cup of corn juice in a small saucepan on the stove. When the juice starts to boil quickly whisk in the flour, mascarpone and salt until it turns into a creamy sauce, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Dust a work surface with flour and stretch out the pizza dough into a 10 - 12 inch circle.
- Flour the bottom of a baking sheet and place the pizza dough on top.
- Combine one cup of the corn sauce with the mascarpone and spoon the mixture onto the stretched pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese, corn kernels, diced bacon and red chile flakes onto the pizza.
- Drizzle olive oil around the crust.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 or until cheese is bubbling and crust and browned.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!