In this summertime heat, most of us want a meal that really hits the spot, while still seeming light and refreshing. No dish better delivers on both counts than the classic iceberg wedge salad. There is nothing more satisfying than the crunch of cutting through crisp layers of iceberg lettuce smothered with savory bits of blue cheese and crunchy bacon. This version takes it one step further with the addition of homemade buttermilk blue cheese dressing – because let’s face it blue cheese is what this salad is really all about.
This key to this dish is simplicity. While there are so many layers of textures and flavors, it takes only a few fresh ingredients to create a winning bite.
Here’s what we’ll need!
- A big head of iceburg lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped red onion, crisp cooked bacon and blue cheese for the toppings.
- Buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise and more blue cheese (duh!) for the dressing.
I know what you’re thinking. Anyone can throw blue cheese, tomato and some onion on a head of lettuce, but it’s the homemade dressing that really separates this wedge from others. Whisk together sour cream, buttermilk and a little mayo until it’s rich and creamy. Then gently fold in blue cheese crumbles for a strong, intense flavor.
Last but not least, top with cracked black pepper and serve with a big steak knife. Enjoy!
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (4 oz) good blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- Iceberg lettuce
- Diced tomato
- Chopped red onion
- Crisp bacon
- Add the buttermilk, sour cream and mayonnaise to a mixing bowl and stir until well-combined. Add the blue cheese crumbles and mix together. Add the salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Serve over a wedge of iceberg lettuce and top with chopped tomato, diced red onion and crisp bacon.